Post Yom Ha’Atzmaut Kosher Chinese Buffet and Gift of Life Cheek Swab –“A Mixer with a Purpose” for Young Jewish Professionals
Gift of Life - Jewish genetic bone marrow registry - Please help in the campaign to find a match for Chuck Agree whose family is from the Delaware Valley
Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 4:00 PM in Philadelphia's Chinatown
Celebrate Israel Independence Day with thousands of members of the Jewish community at the Philadelphia Convention Center
Enjoy the FREE Israeli Music Concert at 2:30 PM then join us for Kosher Chinese Buffet. Make new friends and a take a chance to cave a cife with a "Gift of Life" Cheek Swab
Kosher Chinese Buffet - only $15
Limited Spaces - RSVPs desired by 10:00 PM on May 16.
For more info and to RSVP, please contact: YJLCevents@gmail.com
Presented by Young Jewish Leadership Concepts a non-profit young professionals network founded in 1986
YJLC's 26th Anniversary Pocono Rafting Leadership Weekend: August 23-25, 2013
- Rafting down the Lehigh River
- Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom - Amusement Park and Water Park
- Amazing speakders on Israel and the Jewish community
- “Speed Dating” with Jewish organizations - Learn about the Jewish community with representatives of national and local organizations
The Lehigh River beckons Jewish young adult rafters in their 20's & 30's. Come enjoy Dorney Park & WildWater Kingdom. Learn from Israeli expert guest speakers.
Young professionals from throughout the East Coast have a great opportunity to meet each other.
March 17, 2013 - YJLC Leaders “Usher” at inter-faith program with Consul General of Israel Yaron Sideman, Pastors Liz and Steve Defrain, who were honored, and 104 year old grandmother Eleanor Hall, prior to her April Holyland Christian Pilgrimage
“PocoSki25” — 25th Anniversary Pocono Ski Leadership Weekend
March 2-3, 2013
It's a BLAST — just like the Rafting Weekend!
Presentation "Keys to Jewish Leadership" followed by Pocono Skiing - with special thanks to the Steve Beilowitz Israeli Connection fund, and the Jewish Federation of the Lehigh Valley
YJLC Ski Weekend Kick-Off Happy Hour
New Yorkers shared a drink and learned about YJLC and the March 2-3 Ski Leadership weekend on January 17, 2013 @ the Court Bar at St.Giles Hotel (Formerly Lex Bar) @ 130 E 39th St., New York City
YJLC “Mixer with a Message” — January 25, 2013
Message: Save a Child's Heart
Rachel Grosser, a Penn grad, came in from NY to share the story of SACH, Israeli cardiologists performing lifesaving surgery, by flying children to Israel from developing countries.
YJLC's First “Mixer with a Message” — November 25, 2012
Message: Gift of Life
Amazing initial young professionals “Mixer with a Message!” — a packed Uno's Party Room with 45 hearing inspirational Gift of Life Ambassador Neil Dicker. Thank you to our partners: Davai, The Collaborative, AEPi Alumni, Moishe House, AJC Access, the Brandeis Law Society, and the Jewish Exponent. Special thanks to “Chair” — Aaron Alkasov, and “Core Team” organizers Marcus Minsky, Eva Alkasov, David Balcher and Mike Blum. Looking forward to Feb. Ski Leadership Weekend!
See photo slideshow below…
Jewish Young Professionals Get the Message!:
I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for sharing your story Sunday evening at the Mixer with a Message at UNO.
My husband and I went out with friends afterwards and I was telling them how much you opened my eyes to Gift of Life. I have heard of GOL before and been invited to screening events. I have always been hesitant to be screened because the thoughts through my head are “What will I do if I'm a match?” Well, I am not longer hesitant. After you showed the picture of Arielle, I immediately thought, “She's no different than me. She's practically my age and if she can do it, I can too”. Thank you for opening my eyes and making me less selfish. How can I be concerned about a day or so of the process when those recipients have been through SO much more?!
Thank you again.
You truly are an inspiration and so is Arielle.
Best, RB Muhlenberg College '08
ISRAEL — The “ULTIMATE ALLY” of the US
Ambassador Michael Oren spoke at Penn State and Dickinson, Thursday, March 29, 2012 on the why and how of a special relationship.
Click to watch the video which is 30 minutes plus 30 minutes of Q & A regarding key key foreign policy questions.
2nd Annual Pre-Pesach Shopping Party
Sunday, April 1, 3–5 PM
(US Rt. 1 - Mercer Mall)
For young adults in their 20's
- Israeli Music/Dancing
- Lots of Kosher “goodies”
- FREE tastes of Dark Chocolate Brownie Treats — Finchi by Aunti Rashi, high quality gluten free, nut free and dairy free desserts. See Finchis.com. Kosher for Passover, and all year round.
- Food Demonstrations — quick Pesach cooking ideas for independent young adults
Members of Core Team meet at Shoprite to begin plans for Summer Rafting Leadership Weekend.
Pictured in center - chocolate expert Rachelle Kassai - “Aunti Rashi” from Finchis.com, who shared Kosher dark chocolate brownie treats with scores of young adults and family members who came to the 2nd Annual Pre-Pesach Shopping Party
Fun for Young Adults to Meet
— Congregation Adath Israel, Lawrenceville
— Congregation Beth Chaim, Princeton Junction
— Congregation Beth El, East Windsor
— Congregation Beth El, Yardley
— Congregation Brothers of Israel, Newtown
— Congregation Har Sinai, Pennington
— Congregation Kol Emet, Yardley
— The Jewish Center, Princeton
— Congregation Ohev Shalom, Richboro
— Congregation Shir Ami, Newtown
— Congregation Tifereth Israel, Bensalem
Young adult representatives from the above synagogues are welcome to contact us; for more information: please email Lou4YJLC@aol.com.
Sunday, December 11, 5:30pm
Recognizing TWENTY FIVE Continuous Years of Service…
- Bringing Jewish young adults together
- Providing informal education
- Leadership development
- And involvement in the Jewish community
The 25th Anniversary Celebration Honored…
Rabbi Isaac Leizerowski
— Well respected Orthodox leader, Educator, Torah scribe, consultant on legal divorce issues to Israel, and son of the past Chief Rabbi of Philadelphia, Z''L with the Rebecca Dorr Balcher Memorial Award for outstanding professional leadership in the Jewish Community
Eli Gabay, Esquire
— Philadelphia attorney on the Israeli prosecutorial team of Nazi camp guard “Ivan the Terrible” with the Lisa Sassler Cohen Memorial Award for outstanding volunteer leadership in the Jewish Community
Get Snug in a Raft
Pocono Rafting/Leadership Weekend — August 20–21, 2011
- Join Young Jewish Professionals from throughout the East Coast
- Sunday Rafting down the Lehigh River
- Saturday Night Headliner: Comedian, Author — Joel Chasnoff
- Pool Parties — Volleyball — Mixers
- Sunday Brunch — Israel Update — discussion on Jewish org/Israel advocacy
- Optional: Dorney Park—Wild Water Kingdom
Author of “The 188th Crybaby Brigade: A Skinny Jewish Kid from Chicago Joins the Israeli Army” — Joel was the warm-up act for Jon Stewart and Lewis Black of The Daily Show. He recently returned from a USO Comedy Tour of Japan and Korea entertaining American Marines. He's performed at more than five hundred colleges, clubs, and Jewish conferences across North America, Israel, and Europe.
FREE Author autographed copy of book for each participant!
For info, please contact Lou4YJLC@aol.com or call 215-750-YJLC (9552)
Ceremony Commemorated 35th Anniversary of Entebbe Rescue & Hero Yoni Netanyahu
(see slideshow below)
- Wed. July 6 — 35th Anniversary Commemoration of Entebbe Rescue took place @ Cong. Mikveh Israel, Phila. (near Liberty Bell)
- Guest Speaker — Elisabeth Gentieu — Yoni Netanyahu's Cheltenham H.S. teacher — (in photo below) — she gave 2 touching personal stories about Yoni (audio/video is being produced)
- Two—fold purpose was to:
- commemorate Entebbe Rescue & Yoni's leadership & sacrifice,
- for young adults to learn, and make it “Their Narrative.”
- Guest Speaker — Daniel Kutner, Consul General of Israel to the Mid—Atlantic Region — story of Yoni Netanyahu & Rescue
- Guest Speaker — Prof. Ed Turzanski, LaSalle Univ., Counter—Terrorism Expert, former US intel. — value/benefits of American—Israel relationship
- Guest Speaker — Eli Gabay, Esq — meaning of Entebbe Rescue as July 4th Israel/American celebration
- Guest Speaker — Lou Balcher — how young professionals can accept Entebbe Rescue/Yoni Story as part of their own Am./Israel Narrative
- Host — Rabbi Albert Gabbai — Mikveh Israel synagogue, site of Yoni Netanyahu Memorial
- Star of David Jewish Bikers — motorcycle club was a unique Honor Guard Program
- Documentary of Entebbe Rescue screened after Ceremony (please see video)
- Numbers attending: Aprox. 80 community leaders, among whom were 25 young professionals organized only once every FIVE YEARS by YJLC — Young Jewish Leadership Concepts & Cong. Mikveh Israel
On July 4th, 1976, on America's Bicentennial celebration, Israeli elite forces carried out a daring and successful IDF rescue operation at Entebbe airport.
Lt. Col. Yonatan Netanyahu, who led the ground forces that stormed the terminal, tragically lost his life during the mission. However, he and his team of highly skilled soldiers rescued 103 hostages from Arab and German terrorists and the clutches of Idi Amin's Ugandan forces. The topic of several books and movies, this incredible story of bravery was retold on July 6th at a local commemoration ceremony organized by the Consulate's Director of Academic Affairs and Speaker's Bureau, Lou Balcher, who also was a featured speaker.
CG Kutner gave remarks to the audience of community leaders and young professionals. Speakers included: Eli Gabay, Esq., emcee of the event; Prof. Ed Turzanski, counter-terrorism expert; Rabbi Albert Gabbai, Congregation Mikveh Israel; and Elisabeth Y. Gentieu, Yoni's Cheltenham High School English teacher.
YJLC & Drexel Hillel Leaders meet
Israeli Film Director Dan Wolman
On Saturday, March 5, 2011, YJLC and Drexel Hillel leaders gathered with Film Director Dan Wolman and heard his insights on the making of the film Gei Oni — Valley of Fortitude. The film is about 1880's post-pogrom Russian Jewish immigration to Palestine, and the hardships of building a life in pre-state Israel.
The YJLC participation was organized by Core Team leader Shaw Levin, pictured extreme right, standing over left shoulder of film director Wolman.
Are You Interested in Building the Jewish Community through Peer Engagement?
A non-profit organization with 25 years continuous service in young leadership programming needs a few good young adults with entrepreneurial spirit for volunteer service in a few key positions. Business and Social Work grad students can get invaluable real-life experience. Stipends may be available.
If this catches your interest, please send a cover letter and your resume to Lou4YJLC@aol.com
Painless "Tzedakah" - A "Righteous Act" of Charity and a Chanukah Blast!
Imagine making a $5 contribution and having it multiplied 200 or 2,000 times with other participating young professionals. In Honor of Magen David Adom being finally accepted as an International Red Cross agency, YJLC gives you the chance to make a difference with a $5 gift.